Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 in review


Wow! What a year we have had! This time last year, we were settling in as a family of three. Early in January, we travelled out West to finalize T's adoption and have a short family vacation as well. By the time we headed home, I was tired of travelling, rental cars and snow. Very soon after we return, we found out that we would grow to a family of four much quicker than we had imagined. Here's a bit of a recap in pictures:
January 2009

Teegen's adoption is final!

And even at 6 months, we can already see a glimpse of the sassy girl.

February 2009

We learn that Teegen might become a big sister by the end of the year. She looks excited doesn't she?

March 2009
Teegen starts to stand and cruise on the furniture.
April 2009
Spending time with our good friend Thorn. A few weeks after this picture was taken, Thorn became a big brother to baby Cash.
May 2009
Teegen's first time on the beach. What a bathing beauty!
June 2009
Happy Birthday Teegen. Don't you love her outfit?
July 2009
Celebrating July 4th with Aunt Julie at the Park
August 2009
Teegen had to have tubes in her ears. She continued to become more mobile and more verbal.
September 2009
The day we waited for throughout the year...William Michael Alexander arrives. Xander weighed in at 9 lbs. For Teegen, it was love at first sight. She loved her baby brother from the get-go.
October 2009
We are adjusting to life as a family of four and adjusting to our new schedule that has Larry running Daddy Day Care during the week. Teegen dresses as a Penguin for Halloween and Xander dresses as a baby. We also welcomed our new nephew, Dylan this month. He and Xander are only one week apart.
November 2009
We still are pretty sleep deprived.

December 31, 2009

What an incredible year! Finally, a picture of them together.

What a truly incredible year! This time last year, I would never imagine that we would have been blessed with another child. And never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that being a mother would be such an amazing job. I'm so fortunate to be their mother.

Last night, I reflected back on the last decade...what a rollercoaster ride. In that time period, I finished graduate school, met Larry, bought a house, got married, lost my stepmother, change jobs three times, welcome a new niece and nephew, start an international adoption, cry a million tears when that international adoption was no longer an option, pick up the pieces and decide that we should try domestic adoption, fall madly in love with my gorgeous daughter and cry like baby as I heard my son take his first breath. What an amazing ten years.

As I look forward to 2010, I've tried not to make any resolutions, but know that there are areas in my life that I would like to work on. Larry and I are trying very hard to work on budgeting and finances...two adoptions in 18 months can take its toll. I'm also tring to work on writing more. I would really like to develop something concerning domestic adoption. Having been on both sides of the adoption fence, meaning international versus domestion, I feel that at times, domestic adoption gets a bad rap. I think that there is a certain stigma that needs to be tackled head on. I would like to help educate others on the miracle of domestic adoption. And I also think that putting our story on paper will be so so so beneficial to my children in the future.

But my biggest goal this year is to not sweat the small stuff, enjoy my children and husband and enjoy life. It is too short not to.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Happy New Year! You guys have had quite the year!! ;) I, too, think that domestic gets a bad rep and I have been cooking up a series of blog posts about it. It's good to put a positive message out there--and the TRUTH out there. Hope 2010 is a great year!

Jen said...

Megan - beautiful post. I love it. Great pics of those beautiful little souls... And I love the photo of Larry.