Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One Month Old!

One month ago, we received the news that would forever change our lives, the news that we had a daughter waiting for us to meet her and bring her home. We were filled with excitement and anticipation as we stepped into the hospital and met her birthmother, and then laid eyes on our girl. She was so small and I didn't have a clue what I should be doing. I was surprised at my emotions. I had assumed all along that I would be a bawling mess when I saw her, but instead I was filled with this indescribable joy and peace.

And while our lives have changed so drastically, I don't remember what we did before she entered the family. She is simply incredible. And I could stare at her for days.

I have to confess that I was a bit apprehensive about having a daughter, particularly since I grew up without a mom. There has always been a void in my being, longing to come full circle. Last night, as Teegen laid across my shoulder, our hearts beating on top of one another, I realized that we had come full circle. It was one of the most meaningful moments she and I have shared. Of course, she was asleep, but it was meaningful to me.

Enough with the sap, here's an update on the girl.

  • Teegen now weighs 8 lbs, 9 ozs. She gained almost a pound in one week
  • She sleeps a lot and poops a lot.
  • She is a messy eater. I usually end up covered in formula.
  • She is waking up twice a night.
  • She has almost outgrown her newborn clothes.
  • Teegen is starting to like the bathtub. We're not quite to loving the bath, but she doesn't hate it anymore.
  • She will only burp for her dad. And when she does, you would think it was a grown man.
  • She is starting to be more and more alert.
  • Loves "Puff, the Magic Dragon" and anything by Kenny Chesney, if mommy is singing.


Chillin' in the bouncer



Don't touch the binky!


See, I can do more than sleep, Mom!


Okay, so maybe all I do is sleep.

Tobie is right by her side when she cries!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great update - and she's adorable (and doing so well at night - we, I mean I, am quite jealous!!!). Love it!

Anonymous said...

Cute pics Meg. Maybe you can teach my other sister how to blog. Or simply to email picture updates : )

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I am so glad motherhood is treating you well! I've been meaning to email you to check in...but we've entered toddlerhood and oh, the time gets away from you when you are chasing a small person around all the time!

I am so glad you had such a lovely shower and that things are going well - she is so precious!

Anonymous said...

One month down and so many more to go! She is adorable!