Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 -- The Year in Review

I really meant to get this posted before 2009, but that didn't happen. I am still trying to adapt to the notion that with an infant, things don't always get done when you would like them to.

Here is a brief recap of our year:

January-- January started on several high notes. We welcomed the beautiful Annagrace into the family and saw our dossier finally head to the Vietnamese Consulate. Bad news came when we were told there was no way we would finish with the adoption of a child from Vietnam.

February-- We jumped head first into the world of domestic adoption, continuing to work with a local agency.

March-- March consisted of lots of waiting! We did celebrate Thorn's first birthday and I went back to school in an effort to finish the requirements needed for my counseling license.

April-- This month we celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary, watched one of my cousins get married and signed with an adoption agency "somewhere out west."

May-- May seems like a whirlwind. We celebrated Larry's birthday and my dad's birthday. We also found out our profiles were actually being shown to birthmothers. On an emotional front, May was probably when I hit the lowest point I had been throughout the adoption process.

June-- June started off slow, as I was still really low. I celebrated turning 31 in a pretty low-key manner. And then we got the call that forever changed our lives....Teegen had entered the world. The latter part of June consisted of plane rides, bad fast-food and the most gorgeous baby girl I had ever laid eyes on.

July-- We started to acclimated to life as three. Larry and I were both off of work while we adjusted. Towards the middle of the month, Larry returned to work, leaving me to spend time with our daughter.

August-- Teegen smiled for the first time, I returned to work and Larry played Mr. Mom for a few days. Shortly after returning to work, I made a huge decision that it was time for a change and submitting my application for a new position.

September- Teegen started day care, which we all handled better than expected. And she also started rolling over.

October-- The fall brought our first professional family photos, Teegen' s first Halloween, starting rice cereal and a trip to the Pumpkin Patch. I also started my new job this month. So long to on-call hours.

November-- Well, November brought change! Finally! Teegen got to witness voting first hand, she showed her support for her candidate, slept in her own crib, slept through the night and learned how to blow raspberries with her lips. And I passed the exam for licensure!

December-- Teegen continued to thrive! She started on pureed veggies and fruits. I started making pureed veggies and fruits. Larry begrudgingly tasted all the pureed veggies and fruits. She discovered her tongue and blowing raspberries with it. Teegen also started laughing out loud...a lot.

What a year we have had! At the beginning of 2008, I would never have imagined we would be where we are today. I can honestly say that 2008 was my best year ever. I hope that 2009 proves to be equally as exciting.

No comments: