Sunday, May 13, 2007

Inkless Fingerprints

Last Saturday, Larry and I traveled to Northern Virginia to be fingerprinted, which is a requirement for international adoption. We left Lynchburg by 7:00 am and arrived at the Citizenship and Immigration Office around 10:30 am, after taking the scenic route through numerous Civil War battlefields. While this was obviously not the most direct route, it was a very pleasant drive.

We were about an hour early for our scheduled appointment, so we thought that we would have to wait. Fortunately, we were able to begin the fingerprinting process immediately. I had envisioned that we would be covered in black ink at the end of the process, but luckily I was wrong. Instead, I felt like I was on CSI. The fingerprints were scanned into the computer. No ink and no mess. There were a few slip-ups, like Larry's wedding band rolling under the machine and I had the luxury of being fingerprinted twice. But the whole thing moved rather smoothly.

Once the fingerprints were finished, we were off to have lunch at Saigon City, which used to be a Pizza Hut. Larry and I both had a bowl of pho --Vietnamese noodle soup. Pho is very good, but different than what I was expecting. Each bowl was chockful of rice noodles and chicken breast. The broth was very flavorful, with a hint of ginger and garlic. We also had grilled meat summer rolls and crispy pork rolls. I rounded out the meal with a pineapple crazy bubble tea. Bubble tea is like a fruity tea smoothie with tapioca pearls in the bottom. I'm not sure I was too crazy about the bubble tea.

When lunch was over, we headed to my favorite place on Earth...IKEA. We got a bookcase, several rugs, some knick knacks and shelves for the nursery. And didn't break a hundred dollars.

Then it was on to Richmond to visit Leanne, Ingram and Thorn, before Leanne leaves for China. We had a blast. Thorn greeted me by spitting up on me, which is becoming par for the course when we see each other.

In the upcoming week, Larry and I have to get fingerprints at the local police department. And for now we're just waiting. We're waiting on our passports, waiting on our homestudy and waiting for CIS approval.

Thorn sleeping. If you look, you can see where he spit up on me.

No comments: