Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Harry Potter Bowen???

I have zero adoption news to report right now, but we are hopeful that the next few weeks will bring news of some sort. Maybe something along the lines of a completed home study.

But, I am keeping occupied with all things Harry Potter. Our niece Hannah and I arrived at the local movie theater in time to catch the very first showing of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." It was fabulous!!! From the moment the initial music began until the closing credits, it was incredible. It gave me goosebumps! Yes they left a lot out of the film that was essential in the book, but the book was almost 800 pages long. Transferred to film, that would equal about five hours. I love Harry Potter, but I don't want a 5 hour movie.

When people talk about the HP movies, they often mention the actors growing up on film. We've seen Harry and his friends from eleven year old baby wizards to teenage wizards capable of holding their own against evil. As I was waiting for the film to start, I thought about this particularly. You see, I took Hannah to see the first film in the series on opening night, when she was the ripe old age of 13 and in middle school. We didn't really know each other that well, but we had fun nonetheless. Now, Hannah is 18 and getting ready to leave for college. She's now ready to face the challenges that lie ahead and can hold her own in the real world. So best of luck to her. I just hope she'll take Owen to the movies when he's older. I'm not sure I'll be able to make a midnight screening by then.

And now the wait is on for the book! I can't wait until next weekend.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

My brother is taking me to see this on Saturday. I can't wait. I'll think of you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an amazing night. Another Harry Potter moment wrote down in history! Cannot wait for the book. Come and visit me in college - we shall watch the movie again at the local DRIVE IN!

Anonymous said...

I want so bad to see it but I don't think I'll be going to the movies for a long time. It will be so sad to have to wait for it on DVD and only see it on our little TV.

Kathryn said...

Is this movie better than the last one? I really didn't care for the last one. I know I liked the first two. I'll probably wait until the movie comes out on DVD and just get it from Netflix. Movies in the Chicagoland area are over $9 at some theatres; just crazy!