Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's in a Name?

First of all, thanks to everyone for the well wishes and congratulations. The support of our friends and family over the last few days have meant the world to Larry and I.

There were several comments left about how much people liked Teegen's name, so I wanted to make a few comments about it. I'm a huge believer in the importance of your name; that it helps to shape your identity and personality. We thought long and hard about names, making sure that things sounded right together and that initials didn't spell out anything horible....i know that some of who will remember the whole Owen Bowen debate.

And there is quite a story behind this little girl's name. Her first name, Teegen, is my mother's maiden name, and subsequently, my grandmother's last name. Since I was twelve years old, I knew that my daughter's first name would be Teegen.

Now, keep in mind that throughout the adoption process, we've been anticipating a little boy, particularly when we were in the Vietnam program. So, needless to say when we got the phone call last week about this little girl, we were in somewhat of a state of shock. We had nothing for a newborn, we had nothing pink and we had no middle name for a little girl! We threw at least 20 different ideas into the hat, some were family names, some were trendy and some were okay, but lacking that certain something.

Then we were told the name that Teegen's birthmother had given her. When we put that together with part of Larry's mother's middle name, we instantly knew that Serabeth was the perfect middle name for this delightful little girl.

Does anyone know where I can get baby socks that stay put?

5 comments:

Jo said...

Oh my gosh, she is wonderful!!!!! Love the names.

Jilian said...

I can't wait to meet her!! Hopefully you will be home by 7/6 and ready for family to drop in to say hello!!

Maybe she'll poop on T, he'd LOVE that :)

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful and so is her name. And the three of you are a beautiful family.

And good luck with the baby socks - we never found any that would stay put. And don't be fooled by Carters "wiggle proof" socks either. "wiggle proof" is the biggest misnomer ever - they came off more than any other socks we tried!

Anonymous said...

Her name is beautiful and good luck with the sock issue as well as the no baby gear thing!

Anonymous said...

Annagrace has some hand me down tube socks that will fit!

Cant wait to see my neice again!!