Thursday, June 21, 2007

An unexpected visit to the ER

Late last night, Larry and I made an unexpected trip to the Emergency Room. I say unexpected, since I spend most of my time there for work and Larry works in the same hospital. The ER is the last place that we want to head to on our nights off. Alas, a medical catastrophe.

Last night, while working on the computer, my eye felt irritated, so I rubbed it, which is a rather routing event. A few minutes later, I realized my eye felt funny and really hurt. I looked in the mirror and my iris appeared misshapen. My eye was beginning to swell shut. Larry looked at it and almost immediately says "Let's go to the ER." When I hear this, I start to freak! He worked in the ER for 20 years and rarely considers things extreme enough to warrant emergency intervention. I just knew that I was going to be blind before the end of the evening.

By the time we arrived at the ER, my eye was more swollen. And the white of my eye was filling with fluid. Talk about gross. I was sure I had damaged my retina or contracted some rare eye disease. No, nothing that exciting here. Just your average run of the mill...PINK EYE. But pink eye to the point of my eye swelling shut and having to stay out of work for a few days.

Now, you might be asking yourself, "Doesn't she know what pink eye feels like?" The answer is no! I never had pink eye as a child. I had mononucleosis, but not pink eye. But at least now I am prepared should Owen ever come down with a case of it.

No comments: