Monday, January 28, 2008

Someone's a bit longwinded today

When we started down the road of adoption, we knew that there would be numerous ups and numerous downs. We had already been down the bumpy road of infertility treatments, reaching the conclusion that we needed to be parents more than we needed to be pregnant. However, we went into this process with high hopes that we would be able to complete an adoption from Vietnam. At the same time, we also knew that there were no guarantees. In recent months, the atmosphere regarding Vietnam adoptions has grown murky. While there are numerous safeguards in place and more to follow, the future of these adoptions past September 1, 2008 is still unclear. From what I have read ---and you know I love to read-- there is great hope, yet no certainty that adoptions from Vietnam will be able to continue past that deadline.

So, where does this leave us in our quest? For right now, that's the question Larry and I find ourselves faced with. From the beginning of this process, I have felt very strongly in my heart that there is a child for us in Vietnam. But that's not to say that all of our children are in Vietnam.(If Larry reads this, I'm sure he is wondering just how many children we're planning on having.) We are waiting at this time to hear from our adoption agency concerning our choices. From where we sit we have a few options: 1)Continue on the journey to Vietnam and run the risk of the entire program shutting down (which I really don't think will happen). 2) Continue on the journey of International Adoption, staying with our agency. I'm not sure what programs we can participate in, due to qualifications and prerequisites. 3) Switch programs entirely and look at the possibility of a domestic adoption, most likely considering the adoption of a biracial or African-American infant.

The last few weeks have been such a roller-coaster for us. We had finally sent our dossier to the Vietnamese consulate when we were hit with this news. At this point, the road we take has yet to be decided. My heart tells me that there is a child for us in Vietnam, but that perhaps now is simply not the right time. Since we started, we have had numerous roadblocks and now we have hit the ultimate road block, or so it seems. We are hopeful that we will hear something from our agency in the next few days.

3 comments:

Carissa said...

I believe you are with the same agency that we were with for Vietnam and you are further in the process than we were at the time we switched! I believe that it will all be worked out in Vietnam but that it may take some time and that may mean a temporary shut down or at least slow down as no new adoptions can be completed. I would go for it if the agency agrees, I think you could come pretty close to Septemeber IF their timelines they give people are correct and things speed up a bit with the I600's, which I doubt much but maybe the process will get better with that. Good luck! I have not only been where you are but only recently decided it was too much for now and we would have to wait for our child from Vietnam. And give Larry a bot of time, as my husband started out saying only TWO (2) and now he says TEN (10) - I am not sure I agree with him but at least I know that we will bring home as many as we can and still have a happy family! (Sorry so long!)

Josh and Marcie said...

Hang in there Megan. We are all here to support eachother. Keep praying and the Lord will guide you in the right direction. Josh and I did not know what to do and we have decided to stay in the Vietnam program for now. I pray this is the right decision. Have a great day and we are here for you in you need us!

Anonymous said...

I can empathize! I've been DTV for a LONG time, with no progress from my agency. At the one-year mark (late last Sept.), I made the decision to swtich to domestic and, boy am I glad I did! My daughter has been home since mid-November. That's not the right decision for everyone, though. Rest assured that your child is out there somewhere...you just need to pause and reflect to figure out where he/she is!